Monday, April 27, 2009

breaking the ice.

It all started when WMUC's own Andrew Quang asked me if I wanted free tickets to Jeremy Jay at the Velvet Lounge. I said "sure" and the rest is history. I ended up seeing the band and then another solo set at WMUC. Exactly opened, but they deserve their own entry for me to explain them, so I will begin with just Jeremy.


At first glance, Jeremy reminded me of Alex Kapranos with his sunglasses, striped shirt, and Euro vibe. Because he is an artist on K Records, I expected a pop show, but I got a bit more. The band was extremely energetic, jumping up and down and dancing while they played. Instruments were interchanged and twee pop gold was belted. Most of the songs on Slow Dance (2009) are catchy life, learning, and love stories set to the beat. I really enjoyed the set and "new-to-me" music.

It was also a treat to be able to see the solo set and hear stripped down versions of the songs. This performance had a more innocent and angelic vibe to it. I liked the raw simplicity that allowed the vocals to shine.


Last.fm describes Jeremy as "elusive...Like Buddy Holly, Peter Pan and John Hughes movies rolled into one. He’s pure Storybook." In my experience, he is one of the more pleasant performers I've had the pleasure of having a conversation with. But, it's true, he loves his Warhol Superstars, Pretty In Pink, Neverending Story, and The Goonies.

Beautiful Rebel

No comments: