Saturday, December 18, 2010

no one else can show us how, i feel fine.

Thursday I caught a show two new-ish duos playing at Comet Ping Pong. Reading Rainbow are out of Philly. My friend Nate showed me their music and I was interested in seeing how things would play-out live. The two things that stood out were the stand up drummer, and chemistry on stage. I was waiting for them to play "Wasting Time" and it was a good rendition, though the guitar was off-key throughout.



Coasting are from Brooklyn. Ultimately I preferred them. Their chord progressions reminded me a lot of A Place To Bury Strangers. I liked the ambiance they created, being energetic while still singing with eyes closed, gazing at shoes, and dressed for grunge.

With both bands, the common negative that I heard is that the sound can get monotonous. Bass would have added a much needed dimension. It was definitely interesting to see how bands with only two members can create songs.

No comments: