Monday, September 13, 2010

for love, survival, and everything else.

Last night I had the experience of seeing The Drums and Surfer Blood at the 9:30 Club. The following is what ensued:
The Drums opened with"Best Friend," which had previously been my favorite of their tunes. "Submarine" and "Down by the Water" far surpassed that in my opinion. Jonathan Pierce was spastic, but lovable. The performance as a whole seemed almost like a scene from Glee rather than a live show. I loved the energy, but kind of prefer something less [seemingly] staged.
Then Surfer Blood quickly cemented their placement into my recent favorites. JP Pitts displayed impeccable vocals, with more variance of strength and tenderness than can be heard on a mixed album [all while sporting an American Flag vest]. "Twin Peaks" was a stand-out track. I also love the early 60's surf-rock retro vibe on "Catholic Pagans". It has maybe even a Frankie Valli or Beach Boys falsetto feel. The guitars were clean & smooth and everything seemed on point. All in all, it was a great night.

No comments: