Tuesday, March 9, 2010

up in the club pt 2.

A year and a half ago, I spotlighted my five favorite district night spots. Things have changed a lot since then. I moved to the H Street Corridor, so I frequent Rock & Roll Hotel, Sticky Rice, and other spots on the block almost every night. And you can always find me at work at The H Street Country Club. Obviously I need to leave this little Northeast bubble for my sanity, so here is where I love to go when I venture out.

4. I still love Asylum. Though SHORTS is possibly over for good, Asylum offers up things that aren't traditional about Adams Morgan. With Rattler shows, loud live music, and DJs there is a gritty ambiance that sets the scene to be wild and free. www.asylumdc.com.

3.
Velvet Lounge is my favorite grimy/dive bar to go to in DC. The home of most Exactly shows, its always nice to see some people moshing and really getting into a performance. I like that this is a smaller homier venue where there isn't any pretense or pretentiousness. Always check the calender to see if something great is coming up: www.velvetloungedc.com.

2. The Passenger- Well-made drinks, delicious half smokes, and a neighborhood feel make the Passenger my go-to destination when I'm in Chinatown. Peak hours can be kinda crowded, but it's nicer when it's quiet. A great place to chat with a bartender or friends. www.passengerdc.com.

1. Marvin- In the heart of U Street/Shaw, Marvin is possibly my favorite place to go for dinner, a drink, and a dance. Belgian & soul food, a lounge, a heated patio, and a dancefloor make this a place you can stay from the evening until close. And the Gibson is just a door away. www.marvindc.com.

And a bonus: as a heads up, U Street Music Hall is my most anticipated new venue. It was announced today that Bliss dance party and Nouveau Riche will be moving there in the coming month. This space is going to showcase a gazillion great artists and I'm excited for it's scheduled opening on St. Patricks day.

No comments: