Monday, January 5, 2009

and everything is going to the beat.

This cold and dreary winter I have had trouble locating my normal and healthy amount of musical inspiration. It's been more difficult to find a song that can both calm me down and hype me up. Instead I have been huddled under the covers with 23 (2007) by Blonde Redhead, The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place (2003) by Explosions in the Sky, and various lyrical lo-fi tracks by The Glands. While that is not necessarily a bad thing, I need something with more pep. I need something that suits blustery, yet helps me forget my blues.

Passion Pit are quickly filling the void with their addictive melodies and electronic charm. They mix layers of mellow with hyper synth and falsetto vocals. "Sleepyhead" is my favorite so far- it's in a commercial, but who cares. It's been stuck in my head for three days straight. "Live to Tell the Tale" is also highly recommended, with its tender vocals and dreamy synths.

2 comments:

No one in particular said...

Nothing wrong with listening to Explosions in the Sky and Blonde Redhead all winter, though. Myself, I've gone even deeper into downbeat music this winter... Low, Spokane, Slowdive, etc. Can't wait for Spring.

Laura Rae said...

I agree. Just needed something to make me feel less cooped up and pneumonic.