Monday, November 14, 2011

i sang "i love you, but i have to cut you loose".


Last night, I had the privilege of seeing Youth Lagoon perform to a sold-out crowd at The Red Palace. While Trevor Powers claimed he was sick, he didn't miss a beat as he played the entirety of the record. I was curious as to how the music would translate live, but it was a non-issue (my sole, minute criticism is that I wanted to hear more bells for the grandiose end of "Bobby").

Powers' live persona lends perspective to this quote:

Youth Lagoon isn't me. It's merely a part of me. I was in and out of different bands in high school and always tried to define myself by what music I played. I tried to find a sense of meaning by being in a band. But it wasn't until this last year - when I realized I was more than just music - that I was able to create music that means something to me. And that is Youth Lagoon.
He showed a far more chipper side than I think many expected. Plus, he hung around to sign merchandise and converse with eager stragglers (me included). I anxiously await what's next because along with Beirut's The Rip Tide, The Year of Hibernation is pretty much the only new music that I have on constant repeat.

No comments: