Sunday, January 3, 2010

stewart lupton: a retrospective.

I didn't quite know what to expect from a Saturday night celebrating Stewart Lupton's rich musical and poetic history. I'd been meaning to make it to a Child Ballads show for some time, but there were always schedule conflicts. With a full entourage expected to perform, I was anticipating fireworks, and I got them.

Everyone came on stage dressed to the nines. The show was driven by Lupton's emotion, coupled with Wurlitzer player Lex Paulson's energy. Lupton's voice is unsettlingly calming, and his harmonica adds dimension. I don't mind the rambling poetry and interjections, as I think it adds to the character of the performance. His lyrics are the highlight, and where his true gift shines through. They even played my favorite Jonathan Fire*Eater song, "The Search for Cherry Red," which has been covered by The Kills. As friends joined the stage, it became apparent that Stewart is much more than the drama he is often associated with. He is capable of putting on a great show with interesting music and nuances.

At the end of the night, I picked up the Cheekbone Hollows EP along with a package of other goods. I'm excited to further explore Lupton's work and possibly work with him in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been a fan for years. Good to see that he is still active or was a year ago when this was written. I'd love to get in touch with him about a possible show, but all of my contact are expired. A. Hesed